Incredible Years Teacher
What is the Incredible Years Teacher programme?
The Incredible Years Teacher programme provides teachers with approaches to help turn disruptive behaviour around and create a more positive learning environment for their students. The programme is for teachers of children aged 3–8 years.
The programme covers:
- building positive relationships with students
- proactively preventing behaviour problems
- using attention, encouragement and praise to turn behaviour around
- motivating students by giving them incentives
- helping students learn social skills, empathy, and problem-solving
- using appropriate consequences for undesirable behaviour.
What is involved?
Teachers from a school or early childhood education centre meet with colleagues from other schools or centres once a month over six months. There is also a follow-up, one-day session three months later.
- Incredible Years Teacher Guidelines (PDF 5MB)
- Incredible Years Teacher booklet (PDF 2.4MB)
- Swings and Roundabouts article: Early childhood teachers talk about their experiences using rewards, encouragement and praise.
- PBIS Practical Functional Behavioral Assessment Training Manual – Understand the process for identifying why a behaviour is occurring.
- A DVD has been developed which focuses on teachers who’ve done the Incredible Years Teacher programme.
To order a copy of the DVD, email: PB4L@education.govt.nz
Who to contact
Contact your nearest Ministry of Education district office if you’re interested in the Incredible Years – Teacher programme.