The Incredible Years Autism (for parents)
What is the Incredible Years Autism programme (for parents)?
The Incredible Years Autism is a 14 session, group-based programme for parents of children aged 2–5 on the autism spectrum. By supporting the skills and confidence of the key adults in the lives of children on the autism spectrum, it aims to promote children’s emotional regulation, positive social interactions, language development and relationships with others.
The programme covers:
- Child-directed narrated play promotes positive relationships
- Pre-academic and persistence coaching promotes language development and school readiness
- Social coaching promotes friendship skills
- Emotion coaching promotes emotional literacy
- Pretend play promotes empathy and social skills
- Promoting children’s self-regulation skills
- Using praise and rewards to motivate children
- Limit setting and behaviour management.
Incredible Years Autism programmes are available in the following regions:
What is involved?
Parents and caregivers meet for 2.5 hours each week, over a period of 14 weeks, to explore parenting strategies. The programme is highly interactive, collaborative and self-directed, and driven by the child’s developmental abilities and goals.
How to access the programme
Provider contact details
|Whangarei||Ministry of Education||
|Tauranga||Te Whānau Kotahi||
07 571 4768
|Napier||Napier Family Service Centre||
|Napier||Ministry of Education||
06 831 0638
027 418 2671
|Nelson||Motueka Family Service Centre||
03 528 0234
|Christchurch||Presbyterian Support Upper South Island||
03 363 8214
|Invercargill||Family Works Southland||
03 211 8240