The Incredible Years Autism (for parents)
What is the Incredible Years Autism programme (for parents)?
The Incredible Years Autism is a 14-16 session, group-based programme for parents of children aged 2-5 with autism. By supporting the skills and confidence of the key adults in the lives of children with autism, it aims to promote children’s emotional regulation, positive social interactions, language development and relationships with others.
The programme covers:
- Child-directed narrated play promotes positive relationships
- Pre-academic and persistence coaching promotes language development and school readiness
- Social coaching promotes friendship skills
- Emotion coaching promotes emotional literacy
- Pretend play promotes empathy and social skills
- Promoting children’s self-regulation skills
- Using praise and rewards to motivate children
- Limit setting and behaviour management.
This programme is being offered in the following regions in 2018:
- Hawke’s Bay
Further programmes will be announced later this year.
What is involved?
Parents and caregivers meet for 2.5 hours each week, over a period of 14-16 weeks, to explore parenting strategies. The programme is highly interactive, collaborative and self-directed, and driven by the child’s developmental abilities and goals.
Parent reflections on the programme (You Tube video)
Who to contact
For more information, contact email@example.com